This Arugula Salad recipe has been a fan-fave since 2011! It is a personal fave as well. Tropical flavors of sweet mango and salty, crunchy macadamia nuts mingle with spicy arugula lettuce and buttery avocado. This simple-ingredient salad is so flavorful that it barely even needs dressing. But if you want to add some, I think a drizzle of good extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice is just perfect. (Dressing suggestion in the recipe.)
I love this salad on a busy day as lunch, or as a dinner salad topped with tempeh bacon or skillet chickpeas.
Some tips for this salad:
– Use a mango that is nice and ripe. You want the sweet juices to really absorb into the arugula – and help soften it a bit.
– Use macadamia nuts that are roasted AND salted. That salt really goes a long way in this salad. You can add them whole, or chop them up into macadamia nut bits.
– If you just cannot find macadamia nuts – they can be hard to find sometimes – use salted and roasted cashews instead. Those are the best sub, I have found. Chopped Brazil nuts work well too.
– Be generous with the avocado! (Good advice for any recipe, really…)
– If your arugula is too large or long/stringy, break out your culinary shears and cut the arugula up.
…Culinary shears and more cooking goodies are in the kitchen section of my HHL store.
And really, I don’t really think this salad needs dressing. But go with your taste buds on this one.
Arugula, Avocado, Mango, Macadamia Salad
This simple and flavorful salad combines salty, crunchy macadamia nuts with sweet mango, avocado and arugula. Vegan.
- 1 large mango, cubed
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/2 – 1 cup macadamia nuts, salted and roasted (chopped or whole)
- 5-6 cups or arugula
- a few pinches of pepper – salt optional
- Optional add-ins: onion, carrots, hemp seeds, chickpeas, tempeh bacon..
- Simple Dressing Suggestion:
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1-2 tsp maple or agave syrup
- Whisk together the optional dressing, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss the salad ingredients together. Add dressing as desired. Toss again.
- Serve right away.